Saturday, October 22, 2005

Yeah, There's Probably a Stupid Proverb about That

Day, maybe 12, in the hospital. Here's how you measure recovery: count the number of places where there are wires, tubes, or lines leading from your body. A couple days ago, I was held down at nine separate points, but I'm down to two or three now.

I sit up. That takes a good fifteen minutes.

Put my feet on the floor.

Trailing IV tubes, enough electrical equipment to light a small city, I walk to the door of my room, lean my head on it for just a second. That's maybe ten feet from the bed, and by the time I get back, I'm completely exhausted, breathing like I just finished a marathon.

I got home yesterday, all tubes and wires gone.

In a month, I'll be in the Canary Islands.

"It's a long, long time 'till morning."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home